Monday, January 29, 2007

The value of a ring...

Recently at the sunday suppers there have been SO many volunteers that I feel useless, so I've been making an effort to get to know some more of the regulars.
A few weeks ago I met this gentleman, Stanley. He's probably about 60 and he's the sweetest old man. When I first met him, he was sitting with his wonderful friend Linda, who is a bit of yeller... I think she knows that he can't really hear well, but doesn't realize that she cant either so she's actually SHOUTING instead of just talking a wee bit louder. They're a funny team.
Anyway. That week, Linda quickly informed me that "STANLEY PROPOSED TO HIS GIRLFRIEND, BUT SHE BROKE UP WITH HIM. ISN'T THAT HORRIBLE?". I had to agree, and ended up talking to them for quite a while. Turns out that he was dating this girl and that three days after he proposed, she broke it off and gave him the ring back.
Two weeks ago Stanley told me that he wanted to show me the ring, so yesterday he brought it to the suppers to show me. Though at first glance it was a simple ring with three tiny diamonds on the top in a row, after talking to Stanley for a few minutes, I realized that it was a HUGE sacrifice for him to buy and that it was really important to him.
It's funny how a simple sentence can reveal so much... "I paid one hundred thirteen dollars and ninety-nine cents for that ring, and she didn't even want it." He seemed so proud that he had paid that much for it, but so hurt that she hadn't wanted it. Thankfully Stanley has a hard time seeing, so he couldn't see me well up as we talked.

There's not really a point to this post, but yea. It was a bit of an eye opener. I'm so thankful for my friends at the suppers... even if they are a good 45 years older than me.

3 comments:

Briggins said...

Hey Juwia, I really enjoyed this update. Keep up the good work.

Tim said...

Man, that's gotta hurt. I feel for the guy.

Anonymous said...

Hey Julia, Jordan here, I'm with you on sitting down for the meals rather that just volunteerng every week. I think I would just volunteer cause I was uncomfortable with getting to know poor folks. My favourite part about the suppers is that it's a party so I think it's prolly time for me to join in on it.